Earlier this week, Republic Records released the official audio for Dead Air by CHVRCHES and it was hard to deny that it was a catchy song (my kids love it!), but had a very 1980s flair to it and made all us young-adults-at-heart wonder, what would have happened if The Hunger Games: Mockingjay had been released in the 1980s? As a result, our staff worked through our personal lists of greatest 80s hits to curate a Mockingjay Part 1 soundtrack just for you.
And so, we present to you the first in our new editorial series The Retro Games, the 1980s soundtrack for ‘The Mockingjay Club Part 1.’
Here’s the tracklist:
- Live to Tell by Madonna
- The Living Years by Mike + the Mechanics
- Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
- These Dreams by Heart
- You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi
- Back in Black by AC/DC
- Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
- We Belong by Pat Benatar
- Dancing in the Dark by Bruce Springsteen
- She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult
- Talkin’ bout a Revolution by Tracy Chapman
- Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
- How Soon Is Now by The Smiths
- Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode
- Every Breath You Take by The Police
- Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
- Don’t Stop Believing by Journey
- It Must Have Been Love by Roxette
- With or Without You by U2
Videos are linked in the titles, with lyrics linked in the artist’s name. Or, if you want to listen to our soundtrack all the way through, simply hit play below:
Have a listen, peruse the lyrics, and tell us why you think we put it in and why you think it fits or it doesn’t! Either way, tell us what you think about the soundtrack for The Mockingjay Club Part 1 below!
Many thanks and props to Jabberjay Luan for the soundtrack cover. We’re not sure our stomachs will ever recover from all the laughing.
Update: Luan also made the below. We can dream, can’t we?