The World Food Programme, official partner of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, has shared 5 facts about hunger in our world today:
1. Right now, 805 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life. That’s about one in nine people on earth.
2. The vast majority of the world’s hungry people live in developing countries, where 13.5 percent of the population is undernourished.
3. Asia is the continent with the most hungry people — two thirds of the total. The percentage in southern Asia has fallen in recent years but in western Asia it has increased slightly.
4. Sub-Saharan Africa is the region with the highest prevalence (percentage of population) of hunger. One person in four there is undernourished.
5. One out of six children — roughly 100 million — in developing countries is underweight.
You don’t need us to tell you that The Hunger Games was not just a work of fiction. Story elements and parallels are clear in every facet of life. You can donate to WFP on this Hunger Games page and save a life today. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but don’t forget the voices in the Districts when you hop to the cinema.
Be like Peeta, toss the bread.